Kitchens are undeniably the heart of today's homes so, understandably, you want your kitchen to look its best! At Fasse bldgs, we LOVE a good kitchen! Whether you are in the market for a new custom home, a total re-do, or some useful updates, here are some kitchen design trends worth considering!
1. An 'Open' Kitchen
Open floor plans with living/dining combined and/or a more natural flow from the kitchen to the living room is ideal for family time or entertaining. In lieu of the favorable open floor plans, we are also finding kitchen nooks aren't quite as popular as they used to be. If you have a nook and can't do a complete remodel, consider the 'new age nook' with media/tv, bookshelves, or casual seating where you can hang out or integrate cooking shows in your cooking area. In line with the open design, it seems most are favoring drawers over more traditional cabinets. Forgoing some upper cabinets is another way to opens up the space, allowing for more fresh white (or whatever your preference) tile, which not only feels clean and airy, but it reflects glorious light into the space. This design also welcomes some integration of open shelving. Mixing open shelving with cabinets seems to be the best option for most people. This design allows you to still hide some some dishes, utensils, and small appliances while displaying your more favorable pieces in an organized fashion.
2. Flow from indoor to outdoor
Now let's take the open floor plan a step further and continue to flow into the outside... Especially in our coastal climate, most want to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible. Large folding glass door systems are extremely popular and allow you to completely open your kitchen to outdoor patios or porches. Screened porches also allow you to keep the space open and keep the bugs out. Outdoor kitchens or outdoor grill stations accessible to the indoor kitchen are great for enjoying the outdoors with family and friends while prepping dinner or apps on the grill. Allowing the kitchen to flow into the outside can also create more space for entertianing as well as alternative dining areas
3. Clean and Neutral
Clean lines, cool, clean tones and sleek finishes. Whites, grays, and neutrals help create a fresh look. Carrara marble is always a classic for countertops and even backsplashes or accents. White or gray quartz countertops are another favorite. Gray cabinets, counters, and accents are definitely popular right now, and the fresh white kitchen is timeless. Go with high gloss finishes if you prefer a more modern look, or even combine gloss and matte finishes to add some texture to your space. The subtle softness of a matte, combined with the light-reflecting shine of a gloss, can supply an additional point of interest to any installation. Just remember, you want simple elements that make a statement on their own and make the kitchen feel clean and uncluttered. Start with a simple neutral color palette and refer to it when making your selections.
4. Butler's pantries
Perfect for a cocktail or coffee station, prep area, or extra space for entertaining. Typically equipped with counters, a sink, and miscellaneous appliances such as a beverage/wine fridge, coffee/espresso maker, mini bar, or design of your choice. The trend is to keep supplies and appliances hidden, so things look clean while keeping items organized and easily accessible. This space often offers some additional storage or function, allowing for places to put outlets in corners, cabinet edges to hide cords, and often incorporates wine racks, shelving, or some sort of functional element, dependent on your lifestyle.
5. Pantry & Storage Features
Cabinet, pantry, and storage features add style as well as function. Barn doors and sliders are definitely in right now. Add some texture and dimension to your kitchen with a sliding barn pantry door(s). There are several varieties, depending on your style, ranging from the classic rustic barn door to a sleek gloss or glass options. Pop open cabinetry is also very popular, providing ease of use and the option to forgo hardware for a clean flush look. It is also evident that American kitchen evolution seems to be following the more European trend, with a greater emphasis on drawers and open shelving vs. more traditional cabinets where things tend to get lost in the back. Current kitchens are well thought out and detail-oriented, featuring various useful storage features in an effort to keep the kitchen organized and clutter free....pull-out spice storage, drawer plate racks, and compartmentalized drawers, just to name a few.
6. Appliances & Technology
Unique appliances and smart features that enhance and simplify our lives. Here are just a few of our faves:
- Refrigerator drawers in islands or integrated into the cabinetry : these pull out fridge drawers look awesome and they are perfect for those extra beers, bottles of wine or snacks that you tend to squeeze into the fridge or would have to store in a cooler nearby
- Zero energy appliances
- Drawer microwave - keeps the microwave out of sight and off the countertops...this option can also go in an island as well, so it gives you more options for design/placement.
- Steam ovens - I am a huge fan of these guys! Not only are they easy to clean, but you can cook, bake, roast, grill, steam, defrost, and even warm leftovers, making these ovens some of the most versatile appliances in the industry. Steam restores the lost moisture into your meals so that they taste as good as they did when they were first cooked (great for reheating leftovers). Steam ovens reach high temperatures and can thoroughly cook a chicken in twenty minutes, so they also cut down on cooking time. Not to mention, steam cooking is the healthiest form of cooking.
- Usb Charging Stations for phones, laptops, and smart devices
- Audio Speakers integrated into the kitchen design, often hidden in-wall or in-ceiling speakers and with bluetooth capabilities enabling you to jam out to your favorite pandora or spotify stations!
- Lighting- One pretty useful trend is motion activated lighting...often along counter edges or subtle toe kick lighting. Under cabinet lighting as well as motion activated drawer lighting are also popular
- Water filtration systems - lately the requests for these systems has not been limited to just kitchens, but most are opting for whole-house water filtration systems.
- Smart appliances/ smart controls- Imagine being able to preheat your oven remotely on the way home from work OR using your smartphone to view the inside of your fridge when picking up groceries on the go. These are just a few of the things you can achieve with the latest kitchen technology options. And these options are advancing every day!
- In the works....look for interactive kitchens, countertops that cook, integrated appliances that suggest recipes and ingredients and connect to social media and internet sources, holographic imagery, and interactive cooking surfaces, such as this one designed by IKEA. Check out the video below, for a quick look inside Whirlpool's new connected kitchen!
The Fasse bldgs. design team takes a more lifestyle/experience driven approach when working with clients to design or remodel their homes and kitchens. We first discuss lifestyle, priorities, and concerns and then work backwards to solve problems, and design a space that makes life easier and more fun! Especially in the kitchen, we strive for ease of use, performance, time-saving/speed, and organization. To learn more about Fasse bldgs. or discuss design+build options, please call our office at (910) 679 4277.